Sunday, August 5, 2007

Back in time

Once in Michigan, I had to go north or south first in order to then move more towards the west. A number of people had already advised me to go to Mackinac (read Mackinaw) Island (http://www.mackinac.com/) so that sunny Sunday afternoon, I hit the road north in the direction of Upper Peninsula.

Usually a motorcycle gets you everywhere, but not to this island. I had to leave it behind at Mackinaw City (yes, this time it is written like it sounds...) and catch a ferry for about 20 minutes. Already in 1898 cars were banned from the island to encourage tourism. Today all travel on the island is by horses or bicycles; even the police use bikes to patrol the town. That wasn't totally strange to me because in Ghent, part of the police are doing the same in the historic district.
It was so relaxing not to hear any vehicle noises (including my own two wheeler ;-) so I decided to make it a lazy Monday with lunch at Grand Hotel, some walking and strolling on the island and before taking the ferry back to the mainland, eating a delicious ice cream with pieces of the famous fudge.
As pictures say more than a 1,000 words, here you go:




















No comments: